- Egg separator
- Small bowl (to store egg yolk)
- Medium-sized bowl (2)
- Electric hand mixer
- Hand mixer
1. The first step is to separate the egg using the egg separator. Put the egg yolk in a small bowl and store in the fridge to use later. Let the egg white fall into a bigger bowl to be used in the lab.
2. Start first with the electric hand mixer. Start the stopwatch and begin beating the egg white on high speed. The egg white has reached the soft peak stage when the mixer is lifted out of the bowl and the peak folds over like a wave. Record what time it took to get to this.
3. Continue beating the egg until it has reached the stiff peak stage. The stiff peak stage is reached when the mixer is lifted out of the bowl and the peaks stand up straight. Record the time it took to get to this stage.
4. Continue beating the egg until it is over beaten. When it is over beaten it will start to look grainy and dry. Record the time it took to reach this last stage.
5. Put the electric mixer aside and get the hand mixer out. Continue this entire process with the hand mixer, and make sure to record the times to compare them.